New Faces Fuel New and Traditional Chapter Projects
November was a busy month for RPJ from the United Cerebral Palsy Association’s Annual Dessert Fantasy Fundraiser at the Pacific Beach Hotel to the Grand Slam Sunday Tennis Challenge at Ala Moana Beach Park to the first ever Phoenix Fun Day project at Likelike Elementary School to the traditional Thanksgiving Meals-on-Wheels service for Lanakila Pacific. There was also the Turkey Shoot Coed Volleyball Tournament at Halawa Gym and the Turkey Bowl Coed Flag Football game at Keehi Lagoon Beach Park. Last but not least, we elected a new board of directors at the November General Membership Meeting at Maple Garden and cheered on one of RPJ’s finest at the Junior Chamber International World Congress in Tunisia. Here is a list of notable names who spearheaded a November to remember:
- Winston Chow: Took charge of the Dessert Fantasy, the RPJ Facebook and will soon take charge of RPJ itself as the 2010 Chapter President.
- Michelle Isa & Jennifer Slaton: Two of the chapter’s newest members; Michelle, Jennifer, and their teammates from the HiLife Volleyball Club helped at the Dessert Fantasy, Phoenix Fun Day and Meals-on-Wheels; Michelle is also the chair for both the Thanksgiving and Christmas Meals-on-Wheels events.
- Rebecca Soon: The Americas international public speaking champion proudly represented RPJ, Hawaii and the Americas at the World Public Speaking Championship at the JCI World Congress in Tunisia, Africa.
- Anthony Higa: The lead for the chapter’s Adopt-a-School Day projects at Likelike Elementary School. Phoenix Fun Day was Anthony’s first major event as the lead organizer. He was also elected as the 2010 Executive Vice President.
- Chad Kawashima: Another new member who led the dental hygiene workshop at the Phoenix Fun Day at Likelike Elementary School.
- Kevyn Yonesaki: Provided the venue for November’s General Membership Meeting at Maple Garden.
- Rica Castaneda: Organized two great tennis outings at Ala Moana, and will also take over as the 2010 Management Development VP.
- Congratulations also go to the team led by RPJ’s David Shimamoto for winning the Turkey Shoot tourney. Chapter member Kalani Gasper’s team took second in the tournament, and his flag football team won the Turkey Bowl.
- Many thanks also go out to RPJ associate members Jon Nishihara, Lila Johiro, Jeff and Janice Suzuki, Kern Nishioka and Gayle Takasaki.